Full Time 3pm-11pm Registered Nurse Supervisor ** $Will pay what it takes $2500 sign on bonus
Company: Niagara Rehabilitation & Nursing Center
Location: Niagara Falls
Posted on: January 23, 2023
Niagara Rehabilitation & Nursing Center - POSITION SUMMARY:
Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Nursing, the Shift
Supervisor/Relief Supervisor is responsible for maintaining the
standards of nursing care and practices within the facility to meet
the physical, psychosocial, and rehabilitation needs of the
residents. Must have thorough knowledge of all residents and is
required to work throughout the facility to perform tasks utilizing
knowledge and skills.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS
A. Job Knowledge and Role Responsibilities:
1. Demonstrates knowledge of age specific developmental factors
specific to adult and geriatric residents (i.e. physical,
cognitive, and socialization factors) in planning delivery of
2. Demonstrates knowledge, skills, and techniques necessary to care
for residents with the following needs: therapeutic, nuero &
dementia, dialysis, IV therapy, infectious disease, and wound care
3. Provides nursing care in accordance with Resident Care Policies
and Procedures and ensures the safety and well-being of the
residents is maintained.
4. Attends all mandatory inservices by the employee's anniversary
5. Maintains and updates New York State license in compliance with
New York State regulations.
6. Acts appropriately under the direction of the Assistant Director
of Nursing and acts as an active member of the interdisciplinary
7. Responds appropriately to behavioral, medical and fire safety
8. Demonstrates ability to adjust to changes in patient/resident,
or unit/shift assignment, to meet resident and facility needs.
9. Demonstrates knowledge and ability to manage specialized
dementia unit, as appropriate.
10. Supervises assigned nursing personnel including responsibility
for instructions, assignment, direction, performance assessment,
discipline and dismissal of the these assigned employees. works
cooperatively with other assigned RN Shift Supervisors to ensure
satisfactory work performance of all unit employees on all
11. Assesses level and numbers of personnel assigned to each unit
on day shift. Reassigns such personnel for better resident care and
utilization of such personnel.
12. Completes monthly staffing schedules for day shift.
13. Communicates and observes the Corporate Compliance Program
effectively and complies with Code of Conduct when performing work
B. Resident Care Responsibilities:
1. Follows established philosophy and objectives of the Nursing
Service Department to ensure quality of resident care is
2. Follows established Policy and Procedures and offers input to
implement change when necessary.
3. Demonstrates accountability for the maintenance of resident care
as defined by the high quality standards of the facility.
4. Makes daily rounds in all areas of nursing care under his/her
supervision, visiting each unit to evaluate overall unit
performance, and to receive comments relating to the residents
needs and problems, and implement necessary changes.
5. Delegates responsibility to nursing personnel through work
assignments, etc. for direct nursing and non-nursing care of
patients during the shift.
6. Supervises and evaluates the performance of all nursing
personnel under his/her direct supervision.
7. Instructs all nursing personnel on new policies and procedures
and treatments to allow for the most effective use of nursing
8. Reports status of nursing personnel and other supervisory
matters to the Assistant Director of Nursing, on a daily basis.
9. Makes recommendations for hiring, disciplining, evaluating and
the termination of personnel through written reports and verbal
11. Completes appropriate evaluation summaries and assists with
those completed by Nurse Manager and/or Charge Nurses, as
12. Assists in the scheduling of personnel to adequately cover all
13. Assists with the preparation of the nursing department budget
and adheres to that budget as approved by Administrator.
14. Assesses, monitors and treats specific patient care conditions
pursuant to physician orders.
15. Maintains open line of communication with attending physicians
regarding patient care and/or treatment issues.
16. Demonstrates ability to act as the Assistant Director and/or
Director of Nursing in their absence.
17 Ensures the coordination of nursing care with other departments
and disciplines within the facility to best meet resident care
18. Conducts periodic rounds to observe facility appearance and
safety, and makes recommendations or assignments for nursing
personnel in regard to these concerns and/or report these concerns
the appropriate personnel.
19. Coordinates the resolution of resident activity, social service
and nutritional problems observed by nursing personnel.
C. Role Responsibilities-Nursing Systems:
1. Ensures that systems are established and consistent throughout
facility. These include but are not limited to (as per standardized
a) Develops unit management systems for group assignments and
Nursing Assistant responsibilities.
b) Achieves goal of reducing restraints to a minimum and ensures
restraints are released at least every two (2) hours, or according
to established Care Plan. All restraint releases are to occur on
the unit at the same time or per Care Plan, and observed by a
licensed staff member.
c) Conducts periodic review to ensure that all residents are out of
bed by noon, or per Care Plan, unless a specific physician order
indicates bed rest.
d) Ensures turning and positioning schedules are followed every two
hours (or per Care Plan). Ensures turning and positioning system
can be easily monitored (i.e. all face the door at the same
e) Ensures that resident ambulation occurs as an observed system
(i.e. before the meal period in the dining room).
f) Oversees scheduling of nurses for employee meals or breaks,
ensuring that breaks are not taken while residents are dining.
g) Conducts periodic reviews to ensure supplements are passed
according to developed schedule.
h) Conducts periodic review to ensure that environment is clean,
orderly, and organized. Ensures that cleaning schedules are in
writing and audited daily. Reviews and implements infection control
and exposure control plans according to Resident Care Policies and
i) Ensures completion of Change of Condition/24-Hour Report daily
and presents report at A.M. Interfacing Meeting.
j) Conducts weekly audit to ensure skin documentation is current
k) Demonstrates ability to perform all physical and mental job
functions of a Certified Nursing Assistant, Licensed Practical
Nurse, and Registered Nurse.
D. Role Responsibilities - Nursing Documentation:
1) Ensures that nursing documentation meets the following
a) Care Plans match monthly summaries, Nursing Assistant Care
Sheets, Nursing Assistant Worksheets, Treatment Sheets and
b) Maintains and evaluates statistics for: pressure sores, resident
Accidents and Incidents, number N/G or G tubes, number of justified
foley catheters, resident census, resident and employee
c) Reviews all closed charts of expired residents and ensures
appropriate documentation by nursing during the last 48 hours and
discharge orders by physicians are enclosed (to contain how and
where discharge- i.e. to funeral home via stretcher). Reviews
discharge summaries of all residents. ?????
d) Conducts periodic reviews of Care Plans to ensure they are
interdisciplinary and updated by the Charge Nurse as changes
e) Ensures all communication to nursing by other disciplines are
flagged and the Charge Nurse is responsible for implementing the
changes on all forms.
E. Quality of Care/Restorative Nursing/Rehab Principles:
1. Demonstrates knowledge of resident's historical and diagnostic
data in relation to its impact on nursing care.
2. Observes assessments of total resident focusing on all body
systems including skin integrity, weight, and hydration status and
reports changes in residents' conditions promptly to Supervisor and
in writing on the 24 hour report.
3. Gathers information to identify potential and acute problems.
Thoroughly completes all areas of nursing admission assessments and
4. Demonstrates knowledge of each resident's therapy schedule and
the people responsible for implementation and management of those
5. Ensures that a thorough and comprehensive verbal and written
report is given to the on-coming shift at conclusion of duty.
6. Assists in teaching residents and families. Provides needed
information based on the assessment care plan, clinician guideline
and physician recommendations as appropriate.
F. Role Responsibility-Interpersonal Skills:
1. Is aware of, and adheres to, Resident's Bill of Rights and
Confidentiality of Resident Information.
2. Interacts with residents and family members, co-workers,
clinical and ancillary staff in non-judgmental, supportive and calm
3. Addresses family satisfaction issues immediately by reporting
them to the Supervisor in a professional manner.
4. Is aware of Resident Abuse Reporting Law.
5. Participates as assigned in the orientation of new staff and
demonstrates a positive, helpful and enthusiastic attitude.
G. Role Responsibilities-Safety:
1. Demonstrates ability to locate emergency equipment (i.e.
emergency oxygen tank).
2. Understands and demonstrates knowledge of role in Fire and
3. Demonstrates ability to identify and respond appropriately to
potential behavioral outbursts.
4. Uses facility equipment safely.
5. Recognizes, removes, and/or reports potential hazards.
H. Role Responsibilities-Infection Control:
1. Demonstrates knowledge of and implements universal
2. Washes hands between resident contacts as appropriate.
3. Handles linen and disposes of waste properly.
4. Demonstrates ability to care for residents in isolation
5. Demonstrates knowledge of correct positioning/care of catheters
I. Role Responsibilities-Resident Dignity:
1. Addresses residents in a respectful manner.
2. Discusses confidential resident information in appropriate areas
3. Knocks on door prior to entering resident rooms, and maintains
resident privacy and dignity when providing treatments or other
J. Other duties as assigned by Assistant Director of Nursing
Keywords: Niagara Rehabilitation & Nursing Center, Niagara Falls , Full Time 3pm-11pm Registered Nurse Supervisor ** $Will pay what it takes $2500 sign on bonus, Healthcare , Niagara Falls, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!