Niagara Rehabilitation & Nursing Center -
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the
Administrator, the Rehabilitation Director supervises the Staff
Therapist(s), Therapy Assistant(s) and Therapy Aide(s) and
coordinates activities of the rehabilitation department with other
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS
A. Job Knowledge and Role
1. Demonstrates knowledge of age specific developmental factors
specific to adult and geriatric residents (i.e. physical,
cognitive, and socialization factors) in planning delivery of
2. Demonstrates knowledge, skills, and techniques necessary to
care for and treat residents with the following needs: orthopedics,
neuro diseases and infectious diseases, if applicable.
3. Attends all mandatory inservices by employees anniversary
4. Acts appropriately under the direction of the Administrator
and acts as an active member of the interdisciplinary team.
5. Communicates and observes the Corporate Compliance Program
effectively and complies with Code of Conduct when performing work
1. Coordinates the operations of the Rehabilitation Department
to meet the residents needs as well as the companys fiscal
requirements and maintains compliance with federal and state
2. Coordinates the assignment of rehabilitation residents and
other rehabilitation responsibilities to staff therapists and
therapy contractors in an appropriate manner.
3. Hires and terminates department employees according to
facility policies with input from the Administrator.
4. Orients, trains, supervises, evaluates, and counsels
rehabilitation department employees to achieve and maintain a high
standard of care.
5. Ensures compliance in therapy department with appropriate
policies and procedures for the department and facility.
6. Monitors rehabilitation revenue and controls expenses in
order to meet budgetary objectives.
7. Sets goals and objectives for the department and implements
activities to accomplish them.
8. Supervises therapy student programs, if necessary.
C. Resident Care
1. Screens, evaluates, and treats residents as per Care Plan.
Ensures that residents who are admitted for treatment receive the
required therapy services and that the service delivery is
2. Develops and maintains a medical records system that:
a) Is accurate and concise.
b) Meets governmental and third party payor requirements.
c) Minimizes duplication.
d) Reflects a clear picture of the residents problems, the
therapists intervention, and the resident outcome.
3. Develops and maintains an administrative recordkeeping system
that provides an accurate record of the number of treatments given
and charges incurred.
D. Role Responsibilities-Interpersonal
1. Is aware of, and adheres to, Residents Bill of Rights and
Confidentiality of Resident Information.
2. Interacts with residents, family members, co-workers,
clinical and ancillary staff in non-judgmental, supportive and calm
3. Addresses family satisfaction issues immediately and assists
in resolving the matter, if necessary, in a professional
4. Is aware of Resident Abuse Reporting Law.
5. Participates as assigned in the orientation of new staff and
demonstrates a positive, helpful and enthusiastic attitude.
6. Communicates and coordinates the rehabilitation department
functions with other departments in a constructive manner that
helps build team rapport and effectiveness.
7. Communicates with the Administrator, the Director of Nursing,
and rehabilitation therapists regarding department programs, goals,
objectives, problems and successes.
8. Communicates with physicians regarding resident problems,
progress, and department programs.
9. Communicates to the public and to medical personnel outside
the facility regarding the therapy services.
10. Actively participates in:
(a) Community awareness activities.
(b) Facility inservice training programs.
(c) Resident care conferences.
(d) Medicare/Rehabilitation Utilization meetings.
(e) Marketing meetings.
(f) Department Head meetings.
(g) Inquiry/admission process.
(h) Area rehabilitation enhancement meetings.
(i) Facility Quality Assurance meetings.
1. Provides inservices to residents, families and employees
regarding proper positioning and transfer techniques of
2. Assists with restraint reduction programs where
3. Demonstrates knowledge and application of general first aid
4. Ensures that all therapy equipment has current safety
inspection stickers on them and, if not, notifies appropriate
personnel to obtain safety inspection.
5. Demonstrates ability to locate emergency equipment in
facility (i.e. fire extinguisher).
6. Understands and can demonstrate knowledge of role in Fire and
7. Demonstrates ability to identify and respond appropriately to
potential behavioral outbursts.
8. Uses facility equipment safely.
9. Recognizes, removes, and/or reports potential hazards.
F. Role Responsibilities-Infection
1. Demonstrates knowledge of, and implementation of, Universal
2. Follows facility policies in treatment of open wounds.
3. Handles and disposes of clean and soiled linen, when
G. Role Responsibilities-Resident
1. Addresses residents in a respectful manner.
2. Discusses confidential resident information in appropriate
3. Documents residents goals as part of the therapy treatment
H. Other Duties as Assigned by the