POSITION SUMMARY: The LPN reports to RN with
the Shift Supervisor or Resident Care Coordinator.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS
A. Job Knowledge and Role
1. Demonstrates knowledge of age specific developmental factors
specific to adult and geriatric residents
2. Demonstrates knowledge, skills, and techniques necessary to
care for residents with the following needs: therapeutic, neuro and
dementia, dialysis, IV therapy, infectious disease and wound care,
3. Provides nursing care in accordance with Resident Care
Policies and Procedures and ensures the safety and well-being of
the residents is maintained.
4. Attends all mandatory in-services by employee’s anniversary
5. Maintains and updates New York State license in compliance
with New York State regulations.
6. Acts appropriately under the direction of the RN Shift
Supervisor, RN, or Resident Care Coordinator and acts as an active
member of the interdisciplinary team.
7. Demonstrates ability to adjust to changes in units/shift
assignments to meet resident and facility needs.
8. Demonstrates knowledge and ability to assist the RN or
Resident Care Coordinator with the day- to- day activities.
9. Successfully completes facility-conducted orientation of
specialized dementia unit, as appropriate.
10. Demonstrates knowledge of and complies with the Code of
Conduct and Corporate Compliance Program when performing work
B. Resident Care
1) Assumes responsibility on assigned unit for:
Medication & Treatments
a) Administers enteral feedings, and oral, injectable and
intravenous medications and treatments within the LPN scope of
practice as prescribed by the Physician and per facility
b) Performs and is co-responsible for narcotic count as per
Resident Care Policies and Procedures.
c) Demonstrates expertise in dispensing medications and
treatments by all routes as ordered by the Physician with
established time frames. Ensures no medications are left
d) Assesses effectiveness and observes for interaction and
reaction of medications and treatment.
e) Demonstrates knowledge of residents’ allergies according to
established Care Plan.
f) Documents medication and treatment administration in a timely
and accurate manner according to Resident Care Policies and
g) Orders appropriate medications from pharmacy as needed in
accordance with Resident Care Policies and Procedures.
Management and Supervision of Nursing
a) Reports pertinent information to Nursing Assistants on
assigned residents prior to delivery of care, and provides
direction in prioritizing resident care.
b) Reports resident information to Nurses and Nursing Assistants
reporting for next shift.
c) Ensures all aspects of delivery of care to residents is
completed within the established time frames according to Resident
Care Policies and Procedures.
d) Ensures all aspects of resident care information is
up-to-date and reviewed by Nursing Assistants prior to the delivery
2) Complies with all State Department codes and requirements
regarding nursing care and documentation.
C. Role Responsibilities-Interpersonal
1. Is aware of, and adheres to, Resident’s Bill of Rights and
Confidentiality of Resident Information.
2. Interacts with residents and family members, co-workers,
clinical and ancillary staff in a non-judgmental, supportive and
3. Addresses resident and family satisfaction issues immediately
by reporting them to the Supervisor in a professional manner.
4. Is aware of Resident Abuse Reporting Law.
5. Participates as assigned in the orientation of new staff and
demonstrates a positive, helpful and enthusiastic attitude.
1. Demonstrates ability to locate emergency equipment (i.e.,
emergency oxygen tank, etc.)
2. Understands and demonstrates knowledge of role in Fire and
3. Demonstrates ability to identify and respond appropriately to
potential behavioral outbursts.
4. Uses facility equipment safely.
5. Recognizes, removes, and/or reports potential hazards.
E. Role Responsibilities-Infection
1. Demonstrates knowledge of and implements universal
2. Washes hands between resident contacts as appropriate.
3. Handles linen and disposes of waste properly.
4. Demonstrates ability to care for residents on
5. Demonstrates knowledge of correct positioning/care of
catheters and drainage.
F. Role Responsibilities-Resident
1. Addresses residents in a respectful manner.
2. Discusses confidential resident information in appropriate
3. Knocks on door prior to entering resident rooms, and
maintains resident privacy & dignity when providing treatments or
other resident care.
G. Other Duties as Assigned by Shift
Supervisor, Head Nurse and/or Resident Care